In their own words
- January 7, 2008 - 8:05 PM
We are a group of individuals committed to a 12-month flight from the consumer grid (calendar year 2008). The Compact has several aims:
To go beyond recycling in trying to counteract the negative global environmental and socioeconomic impacts of disposable consumer culture and to support local businesses, farms, etc. -- a step that, we hope, inherits the revolutionary impulse of the Mayflower Compact.
To reduce clutter and waste in our homes (as in trash Compact-er).
To simplify our lives (as in Calm-pact)
We've agreed to follow two principles:
1. Don't buy new products of any kind.
2. Borrow, barter or buy used.
• food, drink and necessary medicine (no elective treatments like Viagra or Botox)
• necessary cleaning products, but not equipment
• socks and underwear
• pajamas for the children
© 2017 Star Tribune