La Velle: Marlins shower cash on free agents, talk with Pujols
- December 6, 2011 - 7:34 AM
It's another season of Winter Meetings Confidential!
The WMC staff is impressed at how far the Miami Marlins have come. They have gone from being accused of pocketing revenue-sharing funds to making it rain on free agents.
Heath Bell: Three years, $27 million.
Jose Reyes: Six years, $106 million.
They are talking with Albert Pujols too.
Wouldn't it make sense for them to sign Cuban outfielder Yeonis Cespedes once he's made available? A good fit for that community, right?
• One representative for a free agent closer was pulling for the Twins to sign Matt Capps so he could go to teams about his client and argue that he's better than Capps and thus worth more than $4.5 million.
• Look for Jimmy Rollins to return to the Phillies and for David Ortiz to return to Boston and play for the Fighting Valentines.
• Who the heck is offering C.J. Wilson a six-year contract? There's always one team out there willing to do something dumb with money.
• Finally, know why Carl Pavano wanted to start the final game of the season for the Twins? It allowed him to pitch 222 innings last season. As soon as he hit inning No. 220, he earned a $150,000 bonus.
© 2017 Star Tribune