Australian pitcher Brendan Wise
Arnulfo Franco, Associated Press
Twins restock Rochester's shelves with several free agents
- Article by: JOE CHRISTENSEN
- Star Tribune
- November 18, 2011 - 12:36 AM
Last year, the Twins signed a slew of minor league free agents, hoping to find a few hidden gems or at least bolster the roster at Class AAA Rochester.
Lefthanded reliever Phil Dumatrait proved to be the best of the bunch, posting a 3.92 ERA in 45 appearances for Minnesota.
After trimming Dumatrait from their 40-man roster last month, they re-signed him to another minor league deal this week, along with outfielder Brian Dinkelman.
On Thursday, the Twins added six more minor league free agents who will get invites to spring training, according to minor league director Jim Rantz. The six:
• Righthanded reliever Brendan Wise, 25, went 5-2 with a 1.90 ERA in 50 games for Class AAA Toledo (Tigers) last year. He hails from Perth, Australia -- home of Twins players Luke Hughes and Liam Hendriks -- and had 39 strikeouts and 28 walks last season in 61 2/3 innings.
• Righthanded reliever Jared Burton, 31, went 10-3 with a 3.41 ERA in 164 career appearances with the Reds, spanning five seasons. He missed most of last season after having arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder.
• Righthander reliever Luis Perdomo, 27, appeared in 35 games for the Padres in 2009, posting a 4.80 ERA. Last year, in 65 games for Class AAA Tucson (Padres), he went 0-8 with a 5.40 ERA.
• Righthander Sam Deduno, 28, was the 2009 Texas League Pitcher of the Year at Class AA Tulsa (Padres). He made the Padres' Opening Day roster last year but pitched in only two big league games. He started and relieved for Tucson last year, going 4-6 with a 3.93 ERA.
• Outfielder Wilkin Ramirez, 26, homered in his big-league debut for the Tigers in 2009. After getting traded to the Braves, he batted .267 with a .307 on-base percentage in 81 games for Class AAA Gwinnett last year and appeared in 20 games for Atlanta.
• Outfielder Matt Carson, 30, hit 24 home runs combined last year for Class AAA Sacramento (Athletics) and Class AAA Durham (Rays). He played in 46 games for Oakland between 2009 and 2010, and hit five home runs in 100 at-bats.Etc.
• According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Indians have interest in free agent outfielder Jason Kubel.
• Former Cubs manager Mike Quade is not interested in Rochester's vacant manager position, said Rantz, who hopes to make the hire next week.
• Teams have until late Friday to set their 40-man rosters, protecting players from the Dec. 8 Rule 5 draft. The Twins currently have 35 players on their 40-man roster. Among the likely additions are 2008 first-round draft pick Carlos Gutierrez.
• The Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes Barre Yankees will play 37 "home" games at Rochester's Frontier Field next year while the Scranton ballpark undergoes a $40 million renovation.
© 2014 Star Tribune