Holiday classical music spotlight: 'Slavic Wonders'
- Article by: LARRY FUCHSBERG
- November 12, 2011 - 5:08 PM
Looking to discover someplace new for the holidays? Try touring the Slav lands -- Russia, Poland, Bohemia, the Ukraine -- courtesy of the Rose Ensemble's colorful "Slavic Wonders" program, which mingles medieval chants and ecstatic hymns with towering Russian Orthodox motets (which may trigger conversion, or at least genuflection), double-choir works from the Polish Renaissance, tales of folk heroes and more. Spanning eight centuries, this much-applauded musical journey has taken various detours over the past decade; this season it's been refreshed with an infusion of Ukrainian Christmas carols. A perfect alternative for anyone who's decked the halls once too often.
- 8 p.m. Dec. 17, Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church, 12650 Johnny Cake Ridge Rd., Apple Valley, $25.
- 7:30 p.m. Dec. 22, Nativity of Our Lord Catholic Church, 1900 Wellesley Av., St. Paul, $15-$37.
- 8 p.m. Dec. 23, Basilica of St. Mary, 88 N. 17th St., Mpls., $15-37
- 651-225-4340 or www.roseensemble.org
© 2016 Star Tribune