Hunter catches fire, dies in St. Louis County
- November 6, 2011 - 8:34 AM
A Maple Grove hunter died Saturday in St. Louis County when his clothing caught fire as he tried to light a propane heater in his deer stand.
Arthur Joseph Knafla, 84, was pronounced dead at 9:45 a.m. in Lavell Township, southeast of Hibbing, according to the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office.
Knafla was attempting to light the heater in his partly enclosed stand, the sheriff said. He fell from the stand when his clothing began burning.
Saturday was the opening day of Minnesota's deer firearms season.
Later Saturday, a Clear Lake man was wounded when he was accidentally shot in the arm by another hunter, according to the Sherburne County Sheriff's Office.
The shooting happened just after 2 p.m. near the intersection of River Road and 95th Avenue in Clear Lake Township.
Kurt Goenner, 45, was accidentally shot in the forearm by fellow hunter Dana Hartung, 40, also of Clear Lake. Goenner was taken by ambulance to St. Cloud Hospital.
No criminal charges are expected, the sheriff said.
STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS
© 2014 Star Tribune