Chart: Five epic Gophers-UND games
- November 3, 2011 - 8:45 PM
FIVE EPIC GAMES
Minnesota leads the all-time series over North Dakota, 140-128-14. Here are five especially intriguing games from a Gophers perspective in the long rivalry:
1. 1979 NCAA championship game: Neal Broten's diving goal in the third period was the game-winner as the Gophers edged North Dakota 4-3 in their only title-game meeting.
2. Wheeler's diving goal: The Gophers won 3-2 in OT in the 2007 Final Five at Xcel Energy Center when Blake Wheeler dove to prevent icing and scored on a backhanded swing.
3. Final Five upset: The Gophers beat North Dakota 5-4 in 2004. Grant Potulny scored the game-winner before a WCHA-record crowd of 19,306 at Xcel Energy Center.
4. The Ballard game: Keith Ballard scored in overtime to give the Gophers a 4-3 victory in a first-round WCHA playoff game in 2002. The Gophers went on to win an NCAA title.
5. The brawl: UND's Ryan Duncan was given a game disqualification seven seconds into a 1-1 tie on Feb. 2, 2008. The physical play continued through the postgame handshake line when Wheeler and UND's Joe Finley started scuffling.
© 2015 Star Tribune