Jared Allen named NFC Defensive Player of the Month
- Blog Post by:
- November 2, 2011 - 4:46 PM
Vikings defensive end Jared Allen has been named the NFC Defensive Player of the Month for October. Allen tallied eight sacks last month while also forcing two fumbles and recovering two fumbles. Allen leads the NFL in sacks with 12.5 and set a Vikings’ record by recording a sack in 10 consecutive games.
On top of all that, Allen and his wife, Amy, also welcomed their first child in October. Their daughter Brinley was born last week.
Allen was the AFC's Defensive Player of the Month in October 2007 when he was with the Chiefs. This marks the first time since November 2005 that a Viking has been named the NFC Defensive Player of the Month. Darren Sharper was the last to claim the honor.
Here's a quick look at other Vikings who have earned NFC Defensive Player of the Month honors:
- 2011 Jared Allen, DE (October)
- 2005 Darren Sharper, S (November)
- 1999 John Randle, DT (December)
- 1997 John Randle, DT (October)
- 1996 John Randle, DT (October)
- 1994 John Randle, DT (December)
- 1994 Anthony Parker, CB (October)
- 1994 Jack Del Rio, LB (September)
- 1993 Chris Doleman, DE (December/January)
- 1992 Chris Doleman, DE (December)
- 1989 Keith Millard, DT (October)
- 1986 Doug Martin, DE (September)
© 2015 Star Tribune