Family recipe: Chicked divan
- September 24, 2011 - 10:31 AM
Serves 6 to 8.
Note: This was a dinner party favorite in the 1950s, but it's still suited for the family dinner table. If you prefer to use fresh broccoli, steam it in advance until done. Have cream whipped before you start the sauce. From "Southern Living Heirloom Recipe Cookbook," by the editors of Southern Living magazine.
• 1/2 c. butter
• 1/2 c. flour
• 2 c. milk
• 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
• 2 tbsp. dry sherry (or substitute white wine, chicken broth or water)
• 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese, plus more, if desired, for topping
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/2 c. heavy cream, whipped (see Note)
• 2 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen broccoli spears or florets (see Note)
• 3 c. chopped cooked chicken (about 1 lb.)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly grease a 7- by 11-inch baking dish.
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour. Gradually add milk and cook, whisking constantly. Gradually stir about a quarter of the hot mixture into egg yolks; add egg yolk mixture to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in sherry, Worcestershire, Parmesan and salt. Fold in whipped cream.
Prepare broccoli according to package directions; drain. Arrange broccoli in prepared baking dish. Cover with chopped chicken. Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until bubbly and browned and chicken is hot.
© 2013 Star Tribune