Mauer's neck feels better, but Twins promote Rivera
- Blog Post by: Phil Miller
- August 28, 2011 - 12:26 PM
The Twins promoted catcher Rene Rivera from Class AAA Rochester. He arrived this morning and is starting at catcher for today's series finale against the Tigers.
To clear a roster spot, the Twins optioned infielder Matt Tolbert to Rochester. He'll be back on the active roster here in 10 days, or sooner, if there's an injury.
Manager Ron Gardenhire said Joe Mauer's neck feels better today and Mauer is confident he'll be able to catch on Monday or Tuesday in Chicago.
* Michael Cuddyer (sore wrist) said he's confident he'll be back in the lineup on Monday and won't have to worry about the injury the rest of the way.
* Gardenhire also said the Twins will add three days to spring training next year, expanding on the 10 days they've spent working on fundamentals before exhibition games start.
* Gardenhire said Tsuyoshi Nishioka (sore oblique) also is close to returning, but we've been hearing that for days.
The Twins will look to snap a seven-game losing streak in their final game of this 11-game homestand. They are 2-15 in their past 17 games at Target Field.
In five August starts, Brian Duensing 0-5 with an 8.65 ERA and has allowed 45 hits in 26 innings pitched.
Brad Penny is Detroit's fifth best starter, but he's 1-0 with a 2.92 ERA in his past two starts.
1. Austin Jackson, CF
2. Magglio Ordonez, RF
3. Delmon Young, LF
4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
5. Victor Martinez, DH
6. Alex Avila, C
7. Jhonny Peralta, SS
8. Ramon Santiago, 2B
9. Brandon Inge, 3B
Starting pitcher: RH Brad Penny (9-9, 4.82 ERA)
1. Ben Revere, CF
2. Trevor Plouffe, SS
3. Justin Morneau, 1B
4. Jason Kubel, DH
5. Danny Valencia, 3B
6. Rene Tosoni, LF
7. Luke Hughes, 2B
8. Jason Repko, RF
9. Rene Rivera, C
Starting pitcher: LH Brian Duensing (8-13, 5.12 ERA)
Target Field. First pitch: 1:10 p.m. TV: FSN. Twins Radio Network
© 2014 Star Tribune