Vikings day at camp: Monday
- August 8, 2011 - 10:43 PM
The Vikings returned to practice without their hands on Monday.
Several passes were dropped throughout the practice, including a few by running back Adrian Peterson, who is expected to take on a larger role in the passing game this season. During a one-on-one drill, Peterson juked free from linebacker E.J. Henderson but then dropped a ball placed between the numbers.
Peterson also dropped a ball during a two-minute hurry-up team drill. But he wasn't alone. Five of the 25 balls thrown in the drill were dropped.
Somersaulting for Harvin
Receiver Percy Harvin doesn't run. He glides with cuts that are tough to defend. Just ask Cord Parks. The backup cornerback got so twisted around by Harvin that he ended up doing a somersault as Harvin broke free on a one-on-one drill.
Donovan McNabb completed six of 10 passes during the two-minute hurry-up drill. Three of the four incompletions were drops by Michael Jenkins, Peterson and Juaquin Iglesias. McNabb also was sacked twice.
Joe Webb worked with the second unit and completed five of six passes. He had the completion of the day when he scrambled left away from pressure and launched a pass about 55 yards to Emmanuel Arceneaux, who beat undrafted rookie safety Chris Adingupu for a touchdown.
Christian Ponder went 5-for-8 with the third team. Two of the completions were drops, while the third was nearly intercepted.
Quote of the day
"You wore him like a jockstrap."
-- Defensive coordinator Fred Pagac encouraging Adingupu after the youngster covered tight end Visanthe Shiancoe in a one-on-one drill.
• RG Anthony Herrera (knee) is on the physically-unable-to-perform list.
• LB Kenny Onatolu (foot) is still in a walking boot because of a stress fracture.
• TE Visanthe Shiancoe tweaked a hamstring during practice and did not return.
• WR Percy Harvin missed the latter part of practice because of sore ribs.
• FS Tyrell Johnson (hamstring) did not practice.
• DE Adrian Awasom didn't practice because he was ill.
• LG Steve Hutchinson was limited in practice because of a sore pectoral.Schedule
Tuesday: 9-11:30 a.m. full pads; 3-4 p.m. walkthrough
Wednesday: 9-11:30 a.m. full pads; 3-4 p.m. walkthrough
Thursday: 9-11:30 a.m., shoulder pads. Camp ends.
© 2013 Star Tribune