Lynx: Tracking Moore and Brunson through the season
- Blog Post by: Roman Augustoviz
- June 16, 2011 - 10:58 PM
THE MAYA WATCH
A look at rookie Maya Moore's first four games with the Lynx:
June 2, Los Angeles 82, Lynx 74/ First pro game
Stats line: 21 points (7x17, incl. 4x11 on threes), 4 rebs., 4 assists
The quote: "I think she'll do great things in this league. She'll be a tough matchup for anybody." -- Candace Parker, Los Angeles
June 5, Lynx 86, Los Angles 69/ Home debut
Stats line: 16 points, 14 in the second half (6x13, 2x6 on threes), 3 rebs.,1 assist, 2 steals
The quote: "She puts the ball in the hole for us and that's great, but she made so many big plays on defense for us too." -- Coach Cheryl Reeve on Moore
June 7, Lynx 75, Tulsa 65/ Struggled from field
Stats line: Only seven points (2x10, incl. 1x4 on threes), 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals
The quote: "With Maya, she was rushed. She got away from the poise that she had on Sunday [in a victory over Los Angeles]." -- Reeve
June 9, Lynx 81, Seattle 74/ Best game of season. Maybe.
Stats line: 14 pts. (7x10, missed only three-point shot), 6 rebs., 1 assist
The quote: "Sometimes the ball just goes in. But I thought we came in with the right mindset and we were ready and prepared. We knew we had to come in with a really tough mindset because it's really hard to get wins in this place." -- Moore
Here is a story in the Atlanta Journal Constitution on Maya and her return home on Sunday.
Moore's career record since high school
Collins H.S. 125-3
Collins High School is in Suwantee, Ga., only 16 miles from Atlanta.
* After the WNBA season, Moore will play in Europe for Ros Casares. She recently signed the contract. Ros Casares is a team based in Valencia, Spain. Candice Wiggins, Moore's Lynx teammates, has played for Ros Casares.
Rebekkah Brunson, a 6-2 forward in her seventh WNBA season, averaged a double-double last season (11.3 points and 10.3 rebounds) and is on a pace to duplicate that.
June 2 at Los Angeles/ 10 pts., 12 rebs.
June 5 vs. Los Angeles/ 10 pts., 15 rebs.
June 7 vs. Tulsa / 17 pts., 15 rebs.
June 9 at Seattle/ 22 pts., 14 rebs. ... 9 pts., 7 rebs. in 22-0 start
* Lynx Lindsay Whalen has the best assists to turnovers numbers in the league for a point guard: 26 assists vs. 6 turnovers in four games.
* The Lynx were 0x12 on three-pointers in their loss at Atlanta last season and 2x12 in their win over the Dream at Target Center. So combined they were 2x24 from behind the arc. Ouch.
* The Lynx lead the league in points off fast breaks, averaging 15.3 points, Atlanta is second, averaging 13.3.
© 2013 Star Tribune