Twins lineup with updates on Mauer, Kubel, Thome, Span, etc.
- Blog Post by: Phil Miller
- June 12, 2011 - 1:33 PM
With an off day Monday, and the White Sox coming to town Tuesday, this has the feel of an emotional swing day for the Twins. They have a chance to win a four-game series against the defending AL champs.
Francisco Liriano is on the mound, opposite Rangers lefthander Matt Harrison.
Rene Rivera is back behind the plate at catcher. Manager Ron Gardenhire likes the way Rivera's worked with several pitchers and said it will be a tough decision on who becomes the backup catcher -- Rivera or Drew Butera -- when Joe Mauer returns from the disabled list.
* Mauer will not be heading to Class AAA Rochester. His updated rehab schedule: Catch today and tomorrow for Fort Myers. DH or catch for Fort Myers on Tuesday. Face Joe Nathan in a simulated game Wednesday. Thursday is TBA, but it's clear if all that goes well, he could be back in the Twins by Thursday or Friday.
* The Twins have no update on Justin Morneau's left wrist. He wasn't going to play until at least Tuesday anyway, and they're still waiting for word from hand specialist, Dr. Thomas Varecka.
* Jason Kubel (sprained left foot) still feels some soreness. He's eligible to return from the DL on Wednesday and has been hitting in the cage, but the soreness has to subside.
* Denard Span feels better again today. He's eligible to come off the DL on Tuesday, but nobody knows if he'll be completely past his concussion/whiplash symptoms by then.
* Jim Thome (strained quad/back issue) is feeling better and hopes to head to Fort Myers to continue his rehab.
* Glen Perkins (strained oblique) pitched a scoreless inning for Rochester on Saturday and is scheduled to pitch two more innings on Tuesday in Toledo, Ohio.
* Tsuyoshi Nishioka will be at shortstop for Rochester tonight.
* Kevin Slowey's rehab has progressed to the point where he's throwing off the mound.
* Matt Capps' right wrist is feeling better. Anthony Swarzak's six-inning relief outing Friday and Scott Baker's complete game gem Saturday were key for helping the Twins rest their bullpen.
1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
2. Elvis Andrus, SS
3. Josh Hamilton, LF
4. Michael Young, 1B
5. Adrian Beltre, 3B
6. Nelson Cruz, RF
7. Yorvit Torrealba, C
8. David Murphy, DH
9. Craig Gentry, CF
Starting pitcher: LH Matt Harrison (5-5, 3.48 ERA)
1. Ben Revere, CF
2. Alexi Casilla, SS
3. Michael Cuddyer, 1B
4. Delmon Young, LF
5. Luke Hughes, 3B
6. Danny Valencia, DH
7. Jason Repko, RF
8. Rene Rivera, C
9. Matt Tolbert, 2B
Starting pitcher: LH Francisco Liriano (3-6, 5.20 ERA)
Target Field. First pitch: 1:10 p.m. TV: FSN. Twins Radio Network
© 2015 Star Tribune