The state Executive Council, led by Gov. Mark Dayton, met Friday morning and extended the emergency declaration for the tornado that recently struck the north side of Minneapolis.
Jim Gehrz, Star Tribune
State emergency for Minneapolis tornado extended
- Associated Press
- May 27, 2011 - 12:29 PM
ST. PAUL, Minn. - Some state rules remain lifted to help north Minneapolis disaster relief after a state panel extended an emergency for a deadly tornado touchdown.
The Executive Council headed by Gov. Mark Dayton voted Friday to extend the emergency for 30 days. Dayton declared the emergency earlier this week.
Homeland Security and Emergency Management Director Kris Eide (eye-dee) says the damage to public infrastructure including a water plant will total at least $16 million.
Dayton says he expects damage to private property to be many times that number.
The governor is preparing to ask President Barack Obama for federal disaster aid when officials finish assessing the damage.
The tornado ripped through north Minneapolis last Sunday, killing two and injuring dozens. The funnel followed a path from Golden Valley to Blaine.
© 2015 Star Tribune