- May 17, 2011 - 11:22 PM
The Twins are planning the following tributes to Harmon Killebrew:
• A black-and-white photo of Killebrew was buried beneath home plate Tuesday and will remain there until season's end.
• Killebrew's signature will be very prominent underneath the out-of-town scoreboard on the right-center field wall. Killebrew lectured many Twins players about the importance of penmanship when signing their autograph.
• The No. 3 flag on Target Plaza will rise in conjunction with the Twins Territory flag when the team takes the field.
• The Twins will wear 1961 throwback uniforms at home rest of season. In Tuesday's game at Seattle, the club began to wear a No. 3 patch on all uniforms.
• A public memorial service at Target Field will be held next week, most likely on May 26, an off day for the club.
• The Twins painted a white No. 3 in the middle infield Tuesday; the club is not sure how long it will remain.
• And the lasting tribute at Target Field: Killebrew's bronze statue on the plaza. Said St. Peter: "[Killebrew] knew exactly what he wanted. He wanted a swing, a pose from the 1965 All-Star Game, a home run he hit in that game, and that's what he got. He loved that statue, and that will be a lasting tribute to him."
© 2015 Star Tribune