U earns first Big Ten road sweep
- Article by: NEWS SERVICES
- April 25, 2011 - 12:46 AM
The Gophers baseball team (14-15, 6-6) finished a three-game sweep over Indiana (25-15, 6-6) with a 5-2 victory in the series finale on Sunday in Bloomington, Ind.
Gophers starter Austin Lubinsky shut out Indiana for the first six innings, and ended up picking up the victory to move to 3-3. AJ Pettersen went 2-for-5 with a triple, a run and an RBI. Troy Larson also went 2-for-5 with a run and an RBI and Justin Gominsky reached base three times and was 2-for-4 with a run and an RBI.U women golfers take sixth
The Gophers' women's golf team posted its lowest round of the weekend with a 299 over its final 18 holes to finish in sixth place at the Big Ten Championship in Chicago. The Gophers entered the day in seventh and finished with a 72-hole total of 1,216 at the 11-team event.
Mary Narzisi was the lowest Gophers golfer for the weekend, earning a tie for 14th after a final round 75 for a 36-hole total of 302. Michigan State held off defending champion Purdue with a final-round 289 and a weekend total of 1,180.Etc.
• The Gophers men's golf team concluded its regular season with a fifth-place finish at the Robert Kepler Collegiate tournament in Columbus, Ohio. The Gophers posted their lowest round of the weekend with a 286 to finish the 54-hole event with total score of 885 at the 11-team tournament. Donald Constable earned his fifth top-10 finish of the year with a fifth-place finish after 2-under-par 72 in the final round.
• The Gophers women's tennis team finished its regular season strong, dominating Iowa 6-1 on Senior Day at the Baseline Tennis Center.
• The men's tennis team beat Iowa 5-2 in Iowa City and finished third in the Big Ten.
© 2014 Star Tribune