Sunday night dinner: Chicken With Braised Red Cabbage and Fennel
- November 27, 2010 - 3:01 PM
CHICKEN WITH BRAISED RED CABBAGE AND FENNEL
Note: From "Quick and Kosher," by Jamie Geller.
• 3 tbsp. canola oil
• 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
• 1 (3-lb.) chicken, cut in eighths
• 1 tbsp. kosher salt
• 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1 (10-oz.) bag shredded red cabbage, rinsed and dried
• 1/2 head fennel, shredded
• 2 c. chicken broth, more if necessary
• 1 tsp. dried thyme
• 1 (12-oz.) pkg. extra-wide egg noodles
• 3 tbsp. butter or margarine
• 1 tbsp. poppy seeds
Heat oil in large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté them for 5 minutes or until soft.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan and brown for about 8 minutes on each side. Transfer to bowl.
Add cabbage, fennel, broth and thyme to pan, mixing well. Bring to boil. Return chicken to pan, reduce heat to high simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Transfer to serving platter.
Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions and drain well. Transfer to serving bowl and toss well with margarine and poppy seeds. Serve with chicken and cabbage.
© 2017 Star Tribune