Former employee hunts for pension

  • Blog Post by:
  • November 19, 2010 - 10:21 AM

A Richfield man nearing retirement thought he was eligible for a pension from a company he worked for in the 1990s. The company went out of business, and the former employee didn’t get a response from the union to which he had belonged.

He turned to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, a federal agency that will pay some pension benefits if a plan ends. He was initially told that the agency didn’t have a record of the company. When he inquired again, he was told the pension did exist, but he wasn’t listed as a beneficiary. Now he’s waiting to find out whether the agency will accept his claim.

To find out if the agency took over your old pension, call 1-800-400-7242 or visit the agency's online lookup tool.

Have you had trouble tracking down a pension you earned years ago?

© 2018 Star Tribune