Baker leaves start with elbow unjury
- Blog Post by: La Velle E. Neal III
- September 2, 2010 - 8:13 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Twins righthander Scott Baker left his start on Thursday after two innings because of right elbow pain. Baker had problems with the elbow earlier this season.
Not good news for the Twins. The guess here is that Baker will have his elbow x-Rayed and MRI-ed tonight and tomorrow.
Jeff Manship replaced Baker and pitched a scoreless third inning, striking out Miguel Cabrera along the way.
Swept the clubhouse for injury updates:
- Orlando Hudson's right akle is still sore, but he is going through pre-game activities as I write this.
- Jason Kubel's left wrist is still discolored from getting hit with a pitch, and he won't try to swing a bat until he works the swelling out. Still a couple days away, it seems.
- Brian Fuentes' back is better but he'll have to play catch in the outfield and throw in the bullpen before he's deemed ready. And he's not at that point yet.
- Heard that Jim Thome's back is better and he should be able to pinch hit if needed.
- Kevin Slowey threw in the bullpen today with no problems and will throw on Saturday.
Will have more after Gardy's presser.
UPDATE: The Twins might more X-Rays done on Kubel's wrist because it hasn't improved the way they thought it would at this point. Thome was fired up before the game that his back was better. Sounds like Hudson will be ready to go on Friday.
As for Valencia's Rookie of the Year chances, it's hard for me to go there when Austin Jackson has played fairly well all season and Neftali Feliz has 34 saves for a playoff team. Valenica has been impressive, though.
1. Austin Jackson, CF
2. Will Rhymes, 2B
3. Johnny Damon, DH
4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
5. Brennan Boesch, RF
6. Jhonny Peralta, 3B
7. Don Kelly, LF
8. Alex Avila, C
9. Ramon Santiago, SS
Justin Verlander, RHP
1. Denard Span, CF
2. Alexi Casilla, 2B
3. Joe Mauer, C
4. Michael Cuddyer, 1B
5. Delmon Young, LF
6. Danny Valencia, 3B
7. Jose Morales, DH
8. Jason Repko, RF
9. J.J. Hardy, SS
Scott Bakeer, RHP
© 2014 Star Tribune