Aging ex-con is stuck in Minnesota
- Blog Post by:
- August 17, 2010 - 12:13 PM
From my colleague James Eli Shiffer:
Guillermo Gonzalez had better make himself at home in Minnesota, because it looks like the 67-year-old convict on supervised release will be here until 2012.
In May, the Star Tribune described how Gonzalez would welcome being deported to his native Dominican Republic to serve the last part of his federal sentence for a 1986 prison escape, but the court says he must stay in Minnesota, where he knows no one.
He asked the U.S. probation office to send him to Georgia, where his brother lives, and where he lived in a halfway house until March. That request was denied last month, Gonzalez said. So he’s settling in for a long stay. He said he is close to getting an apartment and leaving the Drake Hotel in Minneapolis.
Click here to read the original story about Gonzalez.
© 2014 Star Tribune