Minnesota Rep. Tim Walz 'open' to new gun restrictions

  • Article by: KEVIN DIAZ , Star Tribune
  • Updated: December 18, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Congressman reflects on school massacre.

  • share

    email

WASHINGTON - U.S. Rep. Tim Walz, a Minnesota Democrat endorsed by the National Rifle Association (NRA), said he is rethinking his opposition to a ban on assault weapons.

"I feel like I've got feet firmly in different camps," he said in an interview Tuesday. "Between the right of gun ownership and public safety."

Walz said that while he remains a "proud" defender of gun rights, he believes the gun lobby and other Second Amendment advocates are ready to show more flexibility as the nation searches for ways to prevent tragedies like the one in Connecticut on Friday.

"They're going to be willing to be part of the solution and to be sitting at the table and to offer up some things," he said.

Walz's remarks came as the NRA said it is "prepared to offer meaningful contributions to make sure this never happens again."

Walz was one of 65 Democrats in the U.S. House who signed a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder in 2009 opposing any prospective moves by the Obama administration to ban assault or military-style weapons.

But he said the Connecticut school massacre has shifted the ground both in public opinion and in Congress.

"I would like to think you're always evolving," he said. "It would be inhuman to not think you're not touched by these things."

While stopping short of endorsing new efforts to ban assault weapons, Walz said he is "open and willing to see how that's going to fit into the bigger piece of how do we solve this."

He said his opposition to a previous assault weapon ban from 1994 to 2004 was based on data showing that it wouldn't prevent tragedies like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary. And while he still has concerns about how new legislation might be drafted to restrict some guns and not others, he said it's not enough to say "bad people are going to do these things, and no law we pass is going to do anything about it."

He noted that other weapons are already restricted, including sawed-off shotguns, fully automatic weapons, and "howitzers."

Walz was reelected to a fourth term last month with the endorsement of the NRA. But he is not the first NRA-endorsed Democrat to call for new thinking. West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, a life-long NRA member, said it is time to move beyond the old "rhetoric" about guns.

  • related content

  • NRA promises to help prevent school shootings

    Tuesday December 18, 2012

    After four days of self-imposed silence on the shooting that killed 26 people inside a Newtown, Conn., elementary school, the nation's largest gun rights lobby emerged Tuesday and promised "to...

  • Obama to press for policy changes after shooting

    Wednesday December 19, 2012

    President Barack Obama is launching an administration-wide effort to curb gun violence, underscoring the growing political consensus over tightening gun restrictions following the horrific massacre at a Connecticut elementary school.

  • Dick's stores suspend sales of certain rifles

    Tuesday December 18, 2012

    A sporting goods chain says it's suspending sales of modern rifles nationwide because of the school shooting in Connecticut.

  • Congressional backing grows for gun control debate

    Tuesday December 18, 2012

    Congressional gun rights supporters showed an increased willingness Tuesday to consider new legislation to control firearms in the aftermath of the Connecticut school shootings — provided it also addresses mental...

  • Gun advocates conflicted on changes after massacre

    Tuesday December 18, 2012

    In a region where gun ownership is a cherished right, holiday shoppers snake through rows of shotguns, pistols and semi-automatic assault rifles at the Kittery Trading Post. The school massacre...

  • Investors, retailers pull back from guns

    Tuesday December 18, 2012

    One chain suspends sales of military-style weapons.

  • Cerberus selling stake in firearms after Newtown

    Tuesday December 18, 2012

    The private equity firm Cerberus will sell the firearms company that produced one of the weapons believed to have been used in the shootings at an elementary school in Newtown,...

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions
  • share

    email

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close