

State Rep. Mary Franson is trying to head off new unionization efforts with a proposal to block groups from forcing independent contractors to join a union.
The Alexandria Republican said DFL Gov. Mark Dayton wants to allow labor leaders to unionize home childcare providers and in-home health assistants as payback for political support.
“Dayton is helping his union allies at the expense of family care providers,” Franson said. “His efforts are nothing but a raw political and financial power grab, and I won’t stand for it.”
The governor does not believe anybody should be forced to unionize, a spokeswoman said.
“Governor Dayton believes it is the right of individuals to vote on whether or not to form a union—holding an election is the American way of resolving differences in a group,” said Katharine Tinucci, a Dayton spokeswoman.
Dayton signed an executive order last year calling for a unionization vote for state-subsidized home childcare providers, which a judge threw out after union opponents filed a lawsuit.
Tinucci noted that even if child care workers had voted to form a union, no individual would have been forced to join.
Franson called the unionization effort a “money laundering scheme” to divert taxpayer money through at-home daycares and home healthcare providers back to unions, which typically support Democrats.
The children, the sick and the elderly “don’t deserve to be caught up in a money laundering scheme,” Franson said.
Union leaders said legislators like Franson have spent years cutting their wages and making it harder for them to make a fair living.
“We need to join together as a union to protect ourselves from politicians like Mary Franson," said Lisa Thompson, president of Child Care Providers Together/AFSCME. "They’ve cut our pay. They’ve eliminated quality improvement grants for our profession. And they’ve ignored the 7,000 parents who are waiting for child care so they can go to work.”
To see the proposal or sign a petition supporting the idea, check here.
Franson’s proposal is not likely to get far in the Legislature. Starting in January, Democrats take over control the House and Senate and are not expected to embrace proposals to limit unions. It's also not clear whether Franson's proposal has broader support among GOP members.

White House photo
By Baird Helgeson and Jennifer Brooks
Despite an improving economy, Minnesota state leaders face a new, $1.1 billion budget deficit, according a new economic update released Wednesday.
Minnesota has been pulling itself up during a fragile economic recovery, but the sliver of additional tax revenue is not enough to keep up with rising costs, the numbers show.
The budget numbers, which are always a moving target, are more uncertain than usual as Washington leaders debate the so-called fiscal cliff, which could plunge Minnesota and the nation into another recession.
Minnesota Management and Budget has released the complete economic and budget details. The new budget number will become the foundation of DFL Gov. Mark Dayton’s budget proposal, expected to be released next month.
The improving economy in the current budget cycle will allow the state to repay $1.3 billion borrowed from public schools to balance the state budget. However, the state still owes the schools more than $1 billion and the new deficit means there is no immediate plan to pay back the balance.
“The economy is a little weaker than we thought it would be last February. Not a lot weaker, but a little weaker,” State Economist Tom Stinson said.
The uncertainly around the fiscal cliff is a bigger drag on the economy, Stinson said. If President Barack Obama and Congressional leaders fail to strike a different budget deal, a menu of tax hikes and deep spending reductions will kick in and begin tugging at an already anemic economic recovery.
“There’s no reason for us to have a recession in 2013 or 2014,” Stinson said. “And if we do, it will be self-inflicted. But that doesn’t mean we won’t have one.”
If the two sides reach a deal and bring new predictability to taxes and spending, it could unleash a torrent of pent up spending and give a notable boost to the economy in Minnesota and the nation.
“One can imagine increased business spending and increased business hiring once they knew what the rules could be,” Stinson said.
The twice-annual economic forecast takes into account an array of indicators, including local economy, the national economy, even the financial instability spiraling throughout Europe.
Minnesota's economy is already doing better than many parts of the nation. Minnesota’s unemployment rate is hovering around 5.8 percent, about two full percentage points better than the national average.
Minnesota’s construction sector endured the worst of the last recession, and has suffered the most stubbornly high unemployment rates. Stinson said he finally sees that sector improving in a significant way.
“We are expecting the housing sector to begin to turn around and begin to grow over the next couple years,” he said.
The healthcare industry continues to outperform many other sectors, particularly as Minnesota baby boomers edge toward retirement.
Dayton is going to use the budget forecast data to form his budget proposal, which is likely to include a plan for a massive retooling of the state tax system.
The changing economy has left the state relying too little on income and sales taxes and placing too much reliance on property taxes, Dayton has said.
Dayton’s revenue and budget officials want to distribute the tax burden more evenly, potentially lowering some taxes and increasing others.
Stinson said a reshuffling of the tax laws could finally break Minnesota out of the cycle of annual budget deficits that caused years of statewide reductions and borrowing. State leaders haven’t made a comprehensive reform effort since the 1980s.
“We certainly need to make sure that Minnesota’s tax system is appropriate for dealing with the economy that we have in 2012 rather than the economy that existed in 1984,” Stinson said.
The state of Minnesota is expanding health care coverage to thousands of uninsured children.
The new initiative, first approved by the Legislature in 2009 and finally implemented this month, will erase barriers like waiting periods and monthly insurance premium payments for coverage. Some 16,000 children from lower-income families could now be eligible for health insurance.
Gloria Agbator wept when she heard the news.
A single working mother, she had health insurance for herself through her job, but couldn’t afford the hundreds of extra dollars a month it would have cost to include her three children on the plan.
“I’m really happy about it,” said Agbator, who is battling pneumonia right now and was terrified that her children – a 14-year-old and 10-year-old twins – would get sick too. “I was so scared for my kids…This program is going to be a really good blessing to my family.”
The healthcare expansion is targeted to working families like hers; those making between 150 percent and 200 percent of the poverty level. Agbator, who works as a program manager for a group home in Dakota County, had been worried about how she would afford her children’s back-to-school checkups and vaccinations when she got news of the program change.
“I’m crying, but I’m happy,” she said. “I work full-time, but I can’t afford to pay for my children’s health insurance.”
The state estimates that more than 70,000 Minnesota children do not have health insurance. House Minority Leader Paul Thissen, DFL-Minneapolis, called that statistic “unacceptable and un-Minnesotan” as he announced the new initiative at the Capitol Thursday morning.
Thissen noticed that Minnesota, long-recognized as a state with some of the strongest children’s health programs in the nation, recently lipped from second to fifth-best in the nation, according to a recent report by the Annie E. Casey Foundation.
“That trend has been going in the wrong direction, so I’m glad we could stand here today and talk about moving forward on something and providing coverage to kids so they can get the care they need to stay healthy,” said Thissen, who was joined at the press conference by Department of Human Services Commissioner Lucinda Jesson.
The healthcare expansion will cost about $11 million a year by the time it's fully implemented 2014, with the federal government picking up half the cost, Thissen said. Although the reforms passed in 2009, the state had to wait for federal approval to put the changes into effect.
