With an insider’s eye, Hot Dish tracks the tastiest bits of Minnesota’s political scene and keep you up-to-date on those elected to serve you.

Contributors in Minnesota: Patrick Condon, Baird Helgeson, Patricia Lopez, Jim Ragsdale, Abby Simons, Rachel E. Stassen-Berger and Glen Stubbe. Contributors in D.C.: Allison Sherry, Corey Mitchell and Jim Spencer.

Pawlenty to Sebelius: Yes, we'll take the money

Posted by: Rachel E. Stassen-Berger under Funding, Health care, Gov. Tim Pawlenty, National campaigns Updated: September 7, 2010 - 11:05 AM

Gov. Tim Pawlenty wrote U.S. DHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius Tuesday to ask for cash.

The letter, in which Pawlenty requested Medicaid and foster care cash, the governor also bashed the federal health care overhaul.

The governor, who issued an executive order limiting Minnesota's take from the overhaul last week, told the secretary that his order was fueled by concern about "overspending" and "unbearable burdens that spending will place on our economy."

Despite that "concern," Pawlenty said Minnesota would accept the federal cash from another bit of legislation --  the extension of the stimulus act. The governor, who has also trashed the stimulus act, said the money reflects, "current and longstanding Minnesota policy objectives."

Pawlenty, who appears to be gearing up for a 2012 run for president, made clear last week that the money he's taking isn't from "Obamacare." His office earlier this year said taking money from an extension of the stimulus act, isn't stimulus money.

 

Here's the letter: 9 07 10 FMAPLetter

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT