Family spokesman: Sotloff relatives aware of purported beheading video, are grieving.

  • Article by: LARA JAKES , Associated Press
  • Updated: September 2, 2014 - 1:45 PM

WASHINGTON — A family spokesman says relatives of freelance journalist Steven Sotloff are aware of a new video purporting to show his beheading by Islamic State militants.

In a two-sentence statement Tuesday, family spokesman Barak Barfi said Sotloff's family, quote, "knows of this horrific tragedy and is grieving privately."

The family has not been told whether the video is authentic, and Barfi said the family does not plan to make any additional comments now.

Earlier, the State Department said U.S. intelligence officials were still trying to determine if the video was genuine.

Sotloff had been held by the Islamic State since last year.

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close