Peavey Plaza has been saved from demolition – for now.
The Heritage Preservation Commission voted Tuesday evening, 8-1, to deny Minneapolis’ request to raze the downtown plaza and have the city planning director begin a study to determine whether the property should be designated as historic.
That study, which would then be presented to the heritage panel, will take at least six months, according to commission chairman Chad Larsen.
Peavey Plaza is unlikely to be approved for demolition if the study concludes that it is historic, said Larsen.
The commission also voted Tuesday to adopt several findings in Minneapolis’ demolition application, including that the demolition is not necessary to correct dangerous conditions at the plaza, and that the plaza is a “historic resource” eligible to be deemed a city landmark.
City officials have proposed to rebuild the plaza with a new design, saying that the current structure has fallen into disrepair and is costly to maintain. Constructing a new plaza is estimated to cost about $10 million, $2 million of which would come from the state and the rest from private donors.
But some preservations have opposed the idea of demolishing the downtown landmark, designed in the 1970s by New York architect M. Paul Friedberg.
Beth Grosen, the city’s senior project coordinator, said Wednesday morning that her staff was exploring the option of appealing the decision to the City Council, which last fall voted in support of their design for a new plaza.
More from Star Tribune
More from MPLS.
A 23-year-old man was charged Friday with robbing a north Minneapolis man with his own gun, as the victim and his girlfriend returned home from a trip to the casino, authorities said.
A pair of fire stations on the city's North and South sides will host a gun turn-in program seeking to take hundreds of guns off the streets and turn them into works of art, city officials and the nonprofit group Pillsbury United Communities announced this week.
A Minneapolis police officer disarmed and arrested a man who allegedly pointed a gun at another man during a fight that broke out outside a downtown police station on Monday, authorities said.
Minneapolis police officials on Monday denied charges that their officers were ordered to "stand down" during protests last week outside a fundraiser for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump that produced a few tense moments, but no arrests.
A 20-year-old Brooklyn Park man has been charged with second-degree assault in the shooting of a 13-year-old girl in north Minneapolis' Camden neighborhood earlier this month, authorities said.
Recommended For You
That is, if she ever has another news conference.
I felt a parent's desire to protect my child from the world, an instinct to talk sense to fools, sadness for another layer of innocence peeled away.
Trump has repeatedly invoked Chicago's bloodshed on the campaign trail to frame himself as the law-and-order candidate in his race against Hillary Clinton.
National anthem protest brings out the worst in social media.
The State Department says about 30 emails that may be related to the 2012 attack on U.S. compounds in Benghazi, Libya, are among the thousands of Hillary Clinton emails recovered during the FBI's recently closed investigation into her use of a private server.