Four of Pat Conroy's books have been made into movies. "The Prince of Tides," starring Nick Nolte and Barbra Streisand, left viewers worldwide blubbering. "The Great Santini" starred Robert Duvall and Blythe Danner. Both movies were nominated for Academy Awards.
"The Lords of Discipline," his novel about his years at the Citadel, became a movie of the same name, while the movie "Conrack" is based on "The Water Is Wide," Conroy's memoir about teaching in a two-room schoolhouse on a South Carolina island.
Other books by Conroy include:
• "The Boo," his self-published first book, was stories about life at the Citadel.
• "Beach Music," an American expat comes home to look for a missing friend.
• "The Pat Conroy Cookbook," a memoir, with recipes.
• "My Losing Season," a memoir about playing basketball at the Citadel.
• "South of Broad," a novel in which a family grapples with a son's suicide.
• "My Reading Life," a memoir about important books in Conroy's life.