Letter of the Day (Feb. 26): Enhanced driver's licenses

  • Updated: February 25, 2014 - 6:11 PM

Being loaded with proof of identity is no guarantee of success.


An enhanced driver’s license provides proof of identity and U.S. citizenship for re-entry by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Photo: Star Tribune file,

CameraStar Tribune photo galleries

Cameraview larger

This is a public-service announcement for Minnesotans interested in getting an enhanced driver’s license, or EDL. Contrary to recent news releases, you’ll need more than your Social Security number and proof of residency. Best of luck to anyone who wishes to proceed with this futile exercise.

For the application process, I brought my birth certificate, marriage certificate, original Social Security card, 2013 W-2 form and tax return, property tax statement, homeowner’s insurance policy, several utility bills and current driver’s license. I brought everything except my death certificate, which probably would have been invalid because I hadn’t signed it.

I was denied. The system used to proceed with the EDL application is too complicated to discuss here, but one problem seemed to be that my middle name is not on the required documents that contain my Social Security number. Let’s just say that this system falls short on connecting the dots.


  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions


  • about opinion

  • The Opinion section is produced by the Editorial Department to foster discussion about key issues. The Editorial Board represents the institutional voice of the Star Tribune and operates independently of the newsroom.

  • Submit a letter or commentary
Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters