Previous Page 2 of 3 Next

Continued: Readers Write (Feb. 23): Benilde essays, South High brawl, Marco Rubio and more

  • Article by: LETTERS FROM READERS
  • Last update: February 22, 2013 - 7:05 PM

Thanks for the detailed report on the alleged criminal negligence involving salmonella-tainted peanut butter (“4 indicted in fatal peanut outbreak,” Feb. 22). I hope readers remember this story the next time they hear somebody talk about “unnecessary” government regulation.

Steven Schild, Winona, Minn.

* * *

SOUTH HIGH

All students involved deserve punishment

The actions of the brawling students at Minneapolis South High School were irresponsible and immature (“Food fight erupts into melee at South H.S.,” Feb. 15). These students showed a complete lack of respect for rules and socially accepted behavior. All students involved should be held responsible and suspended or expelled for the remainder of the school year. It seems those in the Somali community are quick to point fingers at everybody but themselves. I’m sure the tension leading up to the event was caused by all involved. They should all be punished equally.

KEITH CONVERSE, Loretto, Minn.

* * *

FACEBOOK’S VALUE

It’s critical as teens search for identities

Joanna Weiss suggests that Facebook is a pointless waste of the public’s time (“The trouble with Facebook is the people,” Feb. 11). She states that “61 percent of Facebook users have taken a Facebook vacation” at some point. I’m pretty sure a large portion of the other 39 percent is made up of teens who do not consider Facebook pointless but an integral part of life. At this stage in our lives, our main goal is establishing ourselves in the social network and finding our place in this world. We use Facebook as a tool in this critical period.

ALEXA AKRE, Falcon Heights

* * *

ST. THOMAS

No, a woman’s place should not be limited

The writer who said that changing the bylaws at University of St. Thomas to allow a noncleric to be president is a slap in the face to the nation’s Catholic priests reflected an old, anti-woman mind-set (Readers Write, Feb. 20). How just is it to imply that the job should not go to a woman as long as there is any qualified man available, or that this woman would not care for the students’ spiritual well-being as well as the university’s performance?

DAVID MILLER, Mendota Heights

• • •

  • related content

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

  • about opinion

  • The Opinion section is produced by the Editorial Department to foster discussion about key issues. The Editorial Board represents the institutional voice of the Star Tribune and operates independently of the newsroom.

  • Submit a letter or commentary
Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close