SAN DIEGO — The U.S. Navy says it is calling off its search for a sailor reported lost at sea earlier this week in the eastern Pacific Ocean.
Officials said in a statement Thursday they were ending the four-day search and rescue operation and haven't been able to locate the sailor who disappeared from the USS Lake Erie on Aug. 19.
The Navy initiated a "man overboard" search after the sailor couldn't be found aboard the ship, which was conducting routine training operations.
Military officials have not identified the missing sailor. But an Atlanta woman, Alicia McCalla, who said she's the sailor's mother, posted a video on Facebook identifying him as Lt. j.g. Asante McCalla.
She said the Navy has not provided regular updates about the search or the circumstances surrounding her son's disappearance.