Judge says 1 NY trial with 1 jury to be held for 3 defendants in Africa embassy bombings case

  • Article by: Associated Press
  • Updated: September 3, 2014 - 4:40 PM

NEW YORK — A judge has rejected defense requests for separate trials or juries for three defendants charged in New York with the deadly bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa.

Judge Lewis Kaplan ruled Wednesday. He also said a Libyan man arrested in Tripoli can be represented by a lawyer being paid by the Libyan government.

Abu Anas al-Libi insisted he wanted to keep attorney Bernard Kleinman. He did so even after the judge warned him some published reports have alleged the Libyan government aided the United States in his capture last year. Shortly afterward, the ailing al-Libi left the hearing early because of pain in his arm.

Al-Libi and two others go to trial Nov. 3 in the 1998 bombing of embassies in Tanzania and Kenya. The attacks killed 224 people.

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close