It’s that time of year: when recruits – basking in the unprecedented adulation -- are trotted across the country like walking sweepstakes, coaches rush to roll out the red carpet and convince them, without a doubt, that University X is the place for them.
Minnesota is no different right now, abuzz with recruits coming in and out. Here are a few notes from this week:
- Basketball coach Tubby Smith didn’t have any recruits in on official visits this past weekend, but Minnesota had several unofficial visits including Rashad Vaughn (2014), Henry Ellenson (2015), Ellwood Ellenson (2014), Reggie Lynch (2013) and Amir Coffey (2016).
- Next up: SG/SF Alvin Ellis (Chicago), F Alex Foster (Chicago) and F Tory Miller (Missouri) are officially visiting this coming weekend. Ellis and Foster were teammates at Chicago’s DeLaSalle last season but Foster is now at Seton.
- Per our Patrick Reusse, Vaughn (Robbinsdale Cooper) has a busy week, getting visitors from North Carolina on Monday, Tennessee on Tuesday and Wisconsin and Louisville on Wednesday. Scott Drew from Baylor was apparently in town Sunday to watch the junior (via Ryan James from Rivals.com). ESPN’s Darren Wolfson has also said Illinois’ John Groce could be visiting this week.
- UNC’s Roy Williams will also be visiting Tyus Jones at Apple Valley, according to the official fan page of Jones and friend Jahlil Okafor. Word is Jones will be in the house for the Gophers/Syracuse football game on Saturday.
- Alex Illikainen (2015, Grand Rapids) had been in the conversation for unofficials to Minnesota last weekend but apparently did not. Fred Hoiberg from Iowa State visited Grand Rapids on Friday. Iowa and Creighton are supposed to be in town the next two days to see the sophomore forward. He will unofficially visit Oregon this weekend, per James. James also said Georgia, Wisconsin and Indiana are expected to visit in coming weeks.
- Gonzaga visited Reid Travis (2014, DeLaSalle) and Graham Woodward (2013, Edina) last week and offered Woodward.
- Recruit Vitto Brown (2013, Ohio) announced on Twitter that he committed to Wisconsin last week.
- Recruit Cedric Hankerson (2013, Miami), who officially visited Minnesota two weekends ago, committed to Boston University on Saturday after visiting.
From Around the Web
More from Star Tribune
More from Gold in the Barn
The hire is expected to be announced later today
The Gophers' 2015 recruit was released because of external academic circumstances.
The Gophers have now capped their 2015 recruiting class at seven.
The elder Pitino talked about his son's job opportunities on The Jim Rome Show on Wednesday night.
The Gophers' second recruit of the spring period made it official on Tuesday.