MNsure interim CEO summoned to testify before Congress
March 29, 2014 — 4:19am
The chairman of the U.S. House Oversight Committee has summoned MNsure’s interim CEO to testify before Congress on Thursday about the troubled rollout of the online health care insurance exchange.
In a letter to Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton, Republican U.S. Rep. Darrell Issa and two subcommittee chairmen raised questions about the security of the health care insurance exchange and argue that MNsure “has consistently failed to deliver a usable product for its citizens.”
The letter seeks all documents and communications between Minnesota state employees and contractors and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the White House relating to their insurance exchange from May 1, 2013, to present. The lawmakers also requested all assessments and audits of MNsure's “development, readiness or security” dating back to July, 2012.
Issa wants all the information by April 8.
In addition to MNsure interim CEO Scott Leitz, health care exchange representatives from nine other states and the District of Columbia will face questions from Congress.
Leitz took on the role of interim executive director of Minnesota’s health exchange when April Todd-Malmlov abruptly resigned in January.
On Wednesday, MNsure officials said the insurance exchange has enrolled 148,000 people, exceeding a revised goal set in October to help 135,000 Minnesotans acquire coverage. The total is well below the original projection of 164,000 to 270,000 enrollees.
Leitz “looks forward to telling the committee about the successes we’ve seen here at MNsure,” said MNsure spokesman Joe Campbell.
Staff will focus on replying to Issa’s data request after Tuesday’s open enrollment deadline, Campbell said.
Amid reports that Donald Trump was in danger of not getting on Minnesota's presidential ballot, the Trump campaign says everything is in order and voters will have a chance to cast their ballot for him in November.
Interest groups spent less slightly money lobbying state government in 2015 than in the previous year, according to a report released Wednesday by the Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board.
During a five-month period last year, Minnesota spent more than $115 million in estimated overpayments on coverage for people who got incorrect eligibility determinations from the MNsure system, according to a new state audit.