Gophers forward Grace Zumwinkle was named the WCHA’s rookie of the week in women’s hockey. She had two goals and three assists as Minnesota tied Minnesota Duluth 3-3 and beat the Bulldogs 5-0 last weekend.
Zumwinkle, who played for Breck, leads the Gophers in points with 25 and is tied for the team lead in goals with 11.
• Bemidji State teammates Haley Mack, a sophomore forward, and Alexis Joyce, a senior defenseman, were the WCHA offensive and defensive players of the week.
• Registration is open online for the Twin Cities Marathon on Oct. 7 at tcmevents.org/marathon. The cost is $110 for a limited time.
• St. Thomas nose guard Austin Jochum, a senior from Foley, Minn., was named to the American Football Coaches Association’s Division III second All-America team.
• Ohio State goalie Sean Romeo was named the Big Ten’s first star in men’s hockey after beating the Gophers twice, 2-1 in overtime and 4-1. He had 33 saves in each game.
• The annual Maroon vs. Gold intrasquad men’s gymnastics meet will be held at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Maturi Pavilion. Admission is free.
• Madeline Strandemo and the Hasz sisters, Bethany and Megan, shared the MVP award at the recent Gophers women’s cross-country team awards banquet.
• Gophers sophomore forward Lindsay Agnew and forward Amy Potomak, who has signed with Minnesota, are among the 21 players selected to compete for Canada’s national women’s development team at the 2018 Nations Cup in Füssen, Germany, from Jan. 3 to 6.
• Five players from NSIC football teams in Minnesota were named to the first Division II academic All-America team. They are wide receiver Jason Balts of Minnesota Duluth, place-kicker Carter McCauley of Winona State, defensive linemen Jon Dicke of Southwest Minnesota State and Nick Thorpe of UMD, and defensive back Evan Tompkins of Bemidji State.
• Defender Lauren Jennings of Augsburg, forward Molly Hancuh and midfielders Yu Ito of Minnesota Morris and Nicole Moldstad of Bethany Lutheran were named to the United Soccer Coaches’ Scholar All-North Region second team.