Defending champions Dominic Ondoro and Jane Kibii, both Kenyans, will both run in the Twin Cities Marathon on Oct. 1. Ondoro will try to become only the second runner to win the event three years in a row; countryman Andrew Musuva finished first in 1997, '98 and '99.
Men's runner-up Elisa Barno, a three-time Grandma's Marathon champion, also will return.
• David Haslerud of Southview CC won the MGA Senior Amateur at Island View GC in Waconia with a closing 2-under 70. His 54-hole total of 214 beat runner-up Jerry Rose's of Alexandria GC by four shots. Haslerud finished second in this tournament in 2014 and 2016.
• Defending champion and top seed Jeff Sorenson of the Minikahda Club got a bye and then won 7 and 6 over Andy Smith to advance to the quarterfinals of the Minnesota PGA Match Play Championship at Midland Hills CC in Roseville.
• Purdue's Emma Benner, a sophomore from Forest Lake, was named the Big Ten women's cross-country runner of the year. She won the individual title in the Indiana Intercollegiate by almost a minute, covering the 6K course in 21:25.4.
• The Gophers softball team, which had an offseason coaching change, recently held its awards banquet. Catcher Kendyl Lindaman was named Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year on the 56-5 team. Sara Groenewegen, 31-4 as a senior, was named Pitcher of the Year.
• St. Thomas is No. 9 in the United Soccer Coaches' Division III men's soccer poll.
• Gustavus Adolphus is No. 10 and Northwestern (Roseville) No. 12 in the American Volleyball Coaches Association's Division III poll.
• Wisconsin-Superior men's basketball coach Paul Eberhardt resigned. He had a record of 44-83 in five seasons.