Minneapolis will pay $75,000 to an engineering firm assigned with investigating why cable anchors on the Martin Olav Sabo Bridge failed in February, under an agreement approved Tuesday morning by the city’s Transportation and Public Works Committee.
The agreement between the city and Hennepin County splits the cost of the $150,000 contract for Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates. The Illinois company was also retained by the state to probe the cause of the fatal I-35W bridge collapse in 2007.
Hennepin County oversaw construction of the $5.1 million bicyclist and pedestrian bridge, which opened in November 2007, and transferred ownership to Minneapolis in 2008.
A report to the transportation committee by Heidi Hamilton, deputy director of Public Works, said the cost of the work exceeds the department’s available bridge maintenance budget and that extra funds may be requested.
The department is working with the city attorney’s office to determine options for recovering the cost of the work and the general response to the bridge failure.
On February 19, a pair of cables fell from the mast, prompting a shutdown of the bridge, roadblocks and disruptions of light rail service. A second set of cables was removed after cracks were discovered in the cable anchor linking them to the mast.
The span remains closed, and Hamilton said engineers are still determining whether it is safe to open the bridge before the cables are replaced.
More from Star Tribune
More from MPLS.
A pair of fire stations on the city's North and South sides will host a gun turn-in program seeking to take hundreds of guns off the streets and turn them into works of art, city officials and the nonprofit group Pillsbury United Communities announced this week.
A Minneapolis police officer disarmed and arrested a man who allegedly pointed a gun at another man during a fight that broke out outside a downtown police station on Monday, authorities said.
Minneapolis police officials on Monday denied charges that their officers were ordered to "stand down" during protests last week outside a fundraiser for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump that produced a few tense moments, but no arrests.
A 20-year-old Brooklyn Park man has been charged with second-degree assault in the shooting of a 13-year-old girl in north Minneapolis' Camden neighborhood earlier this month, authorities said.
Four years after Minneapolis' plans to blow up downtown's Peavey Plaza ran into a historic preservation roadblock, city officials are ready for a new approach.
Recommended For You
The Twins are on pace to lose 99-100 games this season. The only way for fans to stay patient is if there are prospects developing who will make teams pay for these beatdowns.
For newly made U.S. vehicles that weigh more than 26,000 pounds, regulators are considering a cap of 60, 65 or 68 mph, though that could change.
Stage & Arts
Sean Neely accuses the festival of "false advertising" because it claims to be nonjuried.
The Twins will hire a presidential-level executive who will have authority over all baseball decisions yet be freed from the day-to-day particulars of the GM job. That person will then hire a GM.
Maine's bombastic Republican governor has built a reputation on his unfiltered comments, but his obscene tirade unleashed on a liberal lawmaker prompted Democratic lawmakers Friday to warn that the governor was coming unhinged and to call for a political intervention.