Gophers coach Don Lucia was named one of seven finalists for the Spencer Penrose Award, given annually to the Division I national hockey coach of the year. Lucia led the Gophers (28-13-1) to the MacNaughton Cup and a berth in the Frozen Four next week. Among the other candidates for the award are Mel Pearson of Michigan Tech, the WCHA's coach of the year, and the other three coaches with teams in the Frozen Four: Jerry York of Boston College, Rick Bennett of Union and Bob Daniels of Ferris State. The winner will be named April 6.
• Gophers freshman forward Kyle Rau was named to the College Hockey News all-rookie team. Others chosen were: Johnny Gaudreau, Boston College; Scott Wilson, Mass.-Lowell; Joey LaLeggia, Denver; Patrick McNally, Harvard; Frank Slubowski, Western Michigan. First team selectees: Jack Connolly, Minnesota-Duluth; Spencer Abbott, Maine; Austin Smith, Colgate; Justin Schultz, Wisconsin; Brian Dumoulin, Boston College; Shawn Hunwick, Michigan.
• Minnesota Duluth senior center Travis Oleksuk has signed a two-year, free-agent, entry-level contract with the NHL's San Jose Sharks, according to the Duluth News Tribune.Apple Valley's Jones honored
Tyus Jones, the 6-2, 175-pound sophomore who averaged 28.2 points per game this season and shot 41 percent from three-point range for Apple Valley, was named the Minnesota Associated Press Player of the Year.
Joining Jones on the AP's all-state team were four seniors: Siyani Chambers of Hopkins, Joey King of Eastview, Tyler Vaughan of Braham and Johnny Woodard of Duluth East.Etc.
• Dick Tressel, who spent the past eight years as running backs coach at Ohio State, was named offensive coordinator at Carleton. Tressel, older brother of former Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel, was head football coach at Hamline for 23 seasons, amassing a 124-102-2 overall record and MIAC championships in 1984 and 1988.
• Gary Holquist, the Minnesota Duluth men's basketball coach for the past 14 years, has stepped down from that position to become the new director of development for UMD athletics. In 14 seasons as head coach, Holquist compiled a 206-197 record.
• The 17th-ranked Gophers women's gymnastics team is the No. 3 seed in the Salt Lake City Regional meet, which begins April 7. Joining the Gophers will be Big Ten champion Nebraska, Utah, Iowa State, Arizona State and San Jose State.
• The Lynx, the defending WNBA champions, will play two exhibition games this preseason. They will play at Connecticut on May 10 and host Chicago at noon on May 15 at the University of Minnesota's Sports Pavilion. Their regular-season opener is against Phoenix at 11:30 a.m. May 20 at Target Center. ABC will televise the Phoenix game nationwide.