In 1994, when Don Lucia was the head coach at Colorado College, he was named the national coach of the year.
It could happen again.
Lucia is among the seven finalists for the Spencer Penrose Award, given annually to the Division I coach of the year. The name of the winner will be announaced April 6 in Tampa, the day in between the semifinals and championship game of the Frozen Four.
Lucia led the Gophers (28-13-1) to the WCHA regular-season title and the West Regional title. This year was their first NCAA appearance since 2008. He was the WCHA coach of the year in 1994, '86 and 2006.
Other candidates for the Penrose Award are the three other coaches with teams in the Frozen Four:
* Jerry York, Boston College. His team is on a 17-game winning streak and won the Hockey East regular-season and playoff titles
* Bob Daniels, Ferris State. His Bulldogs won the CCHA regular-season title and are making their first Frozen Four trip
* Rick Bennett, Union. The first-year coach of the Dutchment. His team won the ECAC playoffs and is also in its first Frozen Four
The other three candidates:
* Mel Pearson, Michigan Tech. He was the WCHA coach of the year
* Norm Bazin, UMass-Lowell. He led a big turnaround at the Hockey East school
* Ryan Soderquist, Bentley. He was the Atlantic Hockey coach of the year