One woman was attacked in her Brooklyn Park home Thursday morning. Within 40 minutes, another was attacked in Brooklyn Center.
Police say they suspect a link between two sexual assaults, one in Brooklyn Park and the other in Brooklyn Center, just after daybreak Thursday.
They’re warning local residents to be aware of potential dangers and to use safety measures, including making sure that all doors and windows are locked and being cautious about whom you let into your home.
The first sexual assault happened at 6:45 a.m. Thursday in the 9600 block of Linden Lane, and two men fled the scene. The second sexual assault was reported at 7:23 a.m. in the 7200 block of Girard Avenue N., with similar circumstances.
In the first case, the primary suspect was described as a black male in his 30s, about 5 feet 6 with a thin but muscular build. He was clean-shaven and last seen wearing blue boxers, a white T-shirt and some type of blue nylon over his head.
The primary suspect in the second case was a medium- to dark-skinned black male, also in his 30s, and between 5 feet 6 and 6 feet tall with a husky build. He was clean-shaven, with crooked teeth and a wide nose. He was wearing a black T-shirt and either a black baseball cap or knit cap.
Police from Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center are working together and asking anyone with information about the cases to call 911.
Police also are offering a number of safety tips, including:
• Keep doors and windows locked; install a peephole.
• Do not leave spare keys hidden in accessible places; leave with a friend.
• Pull down shades or curtains and keep lights on after dark.
• Leave an interior light or two on when you will be returning home after dark.
• Ask service people, salespeople and even police officers to show identification through a peephole or window before letting them in, and call to verify information if possible first.
• Use alarms systems if you have them.
• Become familiar with people in your neighborhood, and call 911 if you see or hear anything suspicious.
Joy Powell • 612-673-7750