Ryan, St. Paul reach agreement on first phase of ballpark project

  • Article by: KEVIN DUCHSCHERE , Star Tribune
  • Updated: February 19, 2013 - 11:05 PM

The Minneapolis firm will be paid $3.48 million to build the ballpark, which is slated to open in 2015.

hide

The old Gillette/Diamond Products building will be torn down to make way for a new ballpark in St. Paul's Lowertown.

Photo: Glen Stubbe, Star Tribune

CameraStar Tribune photo galleries

Cameraview larger

Minneapolis-based Ryan Companies will be paid $3.48 million to build the Saints’ $54 million ballpark in St. Paul’s Lowertown district, city officials said Tuesday.

The city and Ryan have reached agreement on the first phase of the design-build contract, allowing the design team to begin gathering feedback from the community and figure out what the 7,000-seat ballpark will look like.

Their goal, Ryan architect Logan Gerken said, is to “make sure it’s an anchor and icon for Lowertown and something that will be loved and cherished for years to come.”

Under the current schedule, environmental cleanup of the Lowertown site will begin this spring, followed by demolition of the Diamond Products building in June.

If the city and Ryan reach agreement on construction costs, building will begin later this year. The ballpark is scheduled to be ready for the 2015 season.

Besides hosting the Saints’ minor league games, the ballpark will be used for amateur events and by high school, American Legion and college teams.

Ryan was awarded the project last month, after getting a higher technical score and submitting a lower bid than two other competing firms.

 

Kevin Duchschere • 651-925-5035

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close