St. Paul man admits 2 rapes, one of 13-year-old

Courtney L. Osgood, 20, faces up to 30 years in prison.

Courtney Osgood

Photo: Ramsey County Sheriff's Office,

CameraStar Tribune photo galleries

Cameraview larger

A St. Paul man pleaded guilty Monday to raping a 13-year-old girl in 2007 and to a similar attack on an ex-girlfriend last year -- charges made possible by a DNA match.

Courtney L. Osgood, 20, faces up to 30 years in prison when he is sentenced on July 11, according to the plea deal he accepted Monday before Ramsey County District Judge Gary Bastian.

During questioning from prosecutor Heidi Westby, Osgood admitted in matter-of-fact fashion to raping both victims after first choking them until they blacked out.

The 13-year-old girl had been on her way to school when Osgood approached her from behind on Payne Avenue on the city's East Side about 7:15 a.m. on Jan. 8, 2007. He choked her, dragged her into an alley and raped her, he testified Monday.

The victim was taken to Children's Hospital, where it was revealed she had vaginal tearing and bruising around her neck.

"You caused her personal injuries?" Westby asked Osgood.

"Yes," he said.

Osgood, who was 15 at the time of the attack, initially was charged in juvenile court, but later was certified to be tried as an adult.

The case was one of two street-level sexual assaults reported about a week apart on the East Side. Hundreds of citizens alarmed by the incidents turned out for subsequent meetings of block clubs and neighborhood crime watch programs.

In 2008, authorities secured a conviction in one of the East Side assaults. But they did not come up with a suspect in the other attack until last year when Osgood submitted a DNA sample as part of a police investigation into the assault of his ex-girlfriend. His DNA matched evidence taken in the 2007 rape, authorities say.

On Monday, Osgood also admitted to raping the ex-girlfriend in the laundry room of an apartment building in the 300 block of Concord Street last May 29. The victim told police that she had told Osgood that morning that she no longer wanted to see him, and he then choked her into unconsciousness, authorities say.

When she came to, she felt pain suggesting she had been raped.

An examination found she suffered rectal tearing and had "red eyes from being strangled," Westby said.

Osgood acknowledged those facts, too.

His guilty plea came three days before what was expected to be a two-day pretrial hearing for the two cases.

Anthony Lonetree • 612-875-0041

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions


Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters