A former Texan who is now a Twin Cities businessman and a student at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul were crowned over the weekend to preside over the St. Paul Winter Carnival.
Steve Cortinas, 61, of Eagan, vice president and plant manager for Dakota Premium Foods in South St. Paul, was crowned as King Boreas the 76th. Ashleigh Hayes, 22, of St. Paul, whose sponsor was the Rice Street Festival, whose queen she served as last year, was crowned Aurora, Queen of the Snows.
Other carnival royalty and their sponsors:
• Prime Minister, Steve Grans, Apple River Family Campgrounds and Lorenz Bus Service.
• Titan, Prince of the North Wind, Jason Denen, Long's Auto.
• North Wind Princess Gina Werner, Grand Spectacle.
• Euros, Prince of the East Wind, Pat Igo, St. Paul Association of Realtors.
• East Wind Princess Monette Moorman, Hamernick's Decorating.
• Zephyrus, Prince of the West Wind, Dave Wenda, FFP Wealth Management and Northern Prairie Financial.
• West Wind Princess Elizabeth Buenzow-Voracek, the Original Gabe's in the Park.
Notos, Prince of the South Wind, Chuck Sheffler, UpTech Partners.
• South Wind Princess Lindsay Auger, R.F. Moeller Jeweler.
• King's Guard Captain, Dan Wilson, Guardian Pest Control.
• King's Sergeant: Greg Absey, Jimmy's Bar & Grill and Absey Entertainment.
• Don Apitz, A&D Painting.
• Rob Clapp, Summit Realty Group.
• Matt Fleming, Boaters Outlet.
• Matthew Kamp, Kamp's Food Market.
• Tim Peterson, Kane's Catering.
Klondike Kate is Peggy Sweeney Junkin. Royal Coordinators are Bernadette Berg & Lisa Stotts.