St. Paul police identified the woman found dead in her East Side home Wednesday as Mary A. Gores.
Gores, 88, was found by a relative who was checking on her welfare. The relative called police about 6 p.m.
The Ramsey County medical examiner's office has ruled preliminarily that Gores died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Gores' relatives said Thursday that they believe she accidentally left the car running in her attached garage, had dinner and then went to bed, falling victim to the carbon monoxide that filled her home.