Apple Valley boys' basketball player Tom Schalk recently committed to William & Mary in Williamsburg, Va. Here is a closer and entertaining look at the 6-foot-7 forward:
• Best movie I've seen in the last year: "Up."
• Favorite college or pro sports team and why: Boston Celtics because of Kevin Garnett.
• Favorite pregame meal: Pasta.
• Do you have a secret talent, and if so, what is it? I know what time it is without looking at a clock.
• Three songs I never skip on my iPod: "Gimme Shelter," "Stuck in the Middle With You" and "The Second Coming."
• Three words my friends or teammates might use to describe me: Loyal, committed, encouraging.
• How did you get started playing basketball? Nerf basketball in the basement.
• What are you working on in the offseason? Strength and explosive training at 43 Hoops Academy.
• What are your goals for the 2010-11 school year as an athlete? Winning the conference and state championships.
• If you could change one thing about high school sports, what would it be? Change spring break so it is not during the state basketball tournament.
• What is the best sports advice you ever received? "What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball player." - Former UCLA coach John Wooden