Page 2 of 2 Previous

Continued: Minnesota tree trimmer left a mess behind

  • Article by:
  • Last update: April 15, 2013 - 10:57 AM

Licensing “has never been an issue,” Kampa said.

But things such as licenses, permits and registrations are important, according to Minnesota Secretary of State Mark Ritchie. “It’s all about accountability,” Ritchie said.

“If you go to our website and find that they are filed and there’s a registered agent and there’s an address, really, you’ve reached a whole other level of comfort.”

Meacham says he has simple expectations from anyone he does business with: “Do what you say you’re going to do. Don’t hose people over.”

Do your homework

Here are suggestions assembled from various agencies.

• Check a door-knocker’s company ID and ask for their door-to-door permit if your municipality requires one.

• Be wary if they don’t tell you verbally and in writing about your right to cancel a sale within three days. To read more on the federal “cooling-off period,” go to www.startrib

• Check to see if they are registered with the secretary of state at

• Check their rating with the Better Business Bureau.

• Verify their workers’ compensation insurance at

• Ask for a copy of their bonding insurance, liability insurance and sales and use tax permit.

• See if they’ve been sued at

• For tree care businesses, verify they are on the state’s Tree Care Registry at

Jane Friedmann • 612-673-7852

  • related content

  • Kris Meacham last week stood among tree trimmings on his Lakeville property, left behind months ago after he hired Northern Lights Tree and Landscape when a representative knocked on the family’s door.

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions


Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters