Twin Cities north metro town briefs:

  • Updated: March 25, 2014 - 1:06 PM

New Hope Parks and Recreation will offer a four-session beginner’s fencing course for children ages 6 to 13 in April. Details are in the article below.

Photo: Star Tribune file,

CameraStar Tribune photo galleries

Cameraview larger

Anoka County

New gardeners invited to introductory class

Anoka County Parks is offering a “Start Your Garden” program on Wednesday, April 23, at Wargo Nature Center in Lino Lakes. Topics will include garden design and layout, preparing soil, choosing vegetables, planting techniques, weeding, insects and diseases, and harvesting. The session will run from 6 to 8 p.m.

Preregistration is required. The cost is $5 a person, plus tax. To register, go to www.ano

Household-waste site moves to spring hours

The Anoka County household hazardous waste facility will switch to warm-weather hours beginning April 1. Those hours will be 2 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays, and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays. The facility, located at 3230 101st Av. NE. in Blaine, will be closed Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Accepted wastes include acids, aerosol cans with product remaining, drain cleaner, driveway sealer, fluorescent bulbs, liquid paint, liquid mercury, mercury thermometers, motor oil, oven cleaner, paint stripper, paint thinner, pesticides, pool chemicals, stains, varnishes and wood preservatives.

Wastes that are not accepted include ammunition, appliances, batteries, dried paint, electronics, empty containers, medical wastes, radioactive wastes, railroad ties and tires. For disposal options for unacceptable materials, call Anoka County Integrated Waste Management at 763-323-5730.

Residents dropping materials off at the site must provide proof of county residency, such as a driver’s license. The facility accepts household waste from residents of Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey and Washington counties. Businesses, organizations and schools may not bring hazardous waste to the facility.


Deadline to seek aid for sealing wells is April 15

Blaine residents have until April 15 to apply for financial assistance with sealing old wells.

The Minnesota Department of Health requires residents to either seal unused wells or apply for a permit to keep them open. Sealing old wells protects the groundwater supply from contamination.

Blaine has obtained a cost-sharing grant to assist residents. The city will pay the landowner 50 percent of the direct cost of sealing a well, up to $500.

Wells eligible for cost-share funding must be located within a drinking water supply management area or a wellhead protection area managed by the city. To see if your property is in a wellhead protection area, go to

For further information, contact Jim Hafner at or 763-785-6188.

Wine-fashion event set for April 5 in Blaine

TPC ROSE and TPC Twin Cities are presenting “Chic With Chardonnay,” a women’s fashion and wine event, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, April 5, at TPC Twin Cities, 11444 Tournament Players Pkwy., Blaine.

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions


Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters