2 months after being rescued from burning house, Nowthen woman dies

  • Article by: KIM PALMER , Star Tribune
  • Updated: November 25, 2012 - 8:38 PM

Diann Evans was pulled from her burning house by a neighbor in September.

An Anoka County woman pulled from her burning home by a passing neighbor two months ago has died as a result of her injuries.

Diann Evans, 64, died Saturday of complications from injuries suffered in the Sept. 25 house fire, according to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's office.

Evans had been hospitalized at Hennepin County Medical Center since the fire, suffering from smoke inhalation and severe burns to her upper body.

Mike Coolidge, the neighbor who rescued Evans, said Sunday that he did not know that she had died, although he'd heard that she was not doing well.

Coolidge, who lives near Evans' farmhouse in Nowthen, had been on his way to work the morning of the fire when he noticed smoke and then a fiery glow inside the woman's home. He pulled into the driveway and pounded on the back door, before finally breaking a window and entering the burning house. Inside the smoke-filled entry, he spotted a pair of feet in white socks on the floor, dropped to his hands and knees and pulled Evans to safety.

She was unconscious when he pulled her out, Coolidge said, but she soon attempted to sit up and speak, although she was clearly suffering from her injuries.

Coolidge said at the time that Evans' socks helped him locate her. Although he didn't know her, he hoped to "see her out there playing with her horse" after she recovered.

"I wish she would have made it," Coolidge said.

Kim Palmer • 612-673-4784

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close