Timothy Lamere is accused of supplying drug that left one partygoer dead and 10 others hospitalized.
Timothy Lamere took the bottle out of his pocket and poured the grayish powder on the living room table of the Blaine house, cutting it into lines that he and Trevor Robinson quickly inhaled, according to murder charges filed Monday against Lamere in Anoka County.
Soon after snorting the synthetic drug known as 2C-E at a party early Thursday, Robinson, 19, started to yell and punch walls. Then he stopped breathing, dying at a hospital hours later. Ten other partygoers overdosed and needed hospitalization, including Lamere, 21, who was found by police in a snowbank.
On Monday, Lamere was charged with felony third-degree murder for unintentionally causing Robinson's death by giving away or distributing 2C-E, a controlled substance. Robinson died of cardiac arrest attributed to toxicity associated with the presence of drugs and no natural disease explained the death, according to the charges.
Paul Young, head of the Anoka County attorney's office's violent crime division, said third-degree murder charges are rare and he couldn't recall the last time his office filed such charges.
"It's the highest level of a potential charge for somebody who sells or gives a drug to another and they die," he said. "The person doesn't have to have intent to cause death."
Lamere, of Blaine, isn't being held in jail, but he is under police custody, Young said. The county attorney's office requested an arrest warrant Monday to ensure his appearance in court. An initial court date hasn't been determined.
Police were called to the party house in the 9500 block of NE. Monroe Street in Blaine just after midnight Thursday in response to a 911 medical emergency call. One person wasn't breathing, and several others were suffering from the effects of drug use, the court document said. Police were told Robinson had already been driven to the hospital because he wasn't breathing.
Police observed violent behavior among the partygoers, along with medical issues, the document said. Several people struggled with medical personnel and police.
Ten people were taken to hospitals for treatment. The condition and location of an 18-year-old woman who initially was listed in critical condition was unclear Monday, but most of the victims had been released from hospital care.
A bottle with 8.9 grams of 2C-E was found in Lamere's front pocket Thursday, the document said.
A number of young adults who were there said Lamere offered them a substance he said would cause "hallucinations," the document said. He told people the drug was 2C-I, a substance similar to 2C-E. Lamere offered the drug to anybody who wanted it, the document said.
He poured some of the drug onto a table and cut it into lines, inhaling some of it. Witnesses then saw Robinson inhale a line of the drug, the document said.
Robinson reacted to the 2C-E by punching walls, breaking items, staring and having dilated pupils and yelling, the document said. Soon, he appeared to stop breathing. He was pronounced dead at 2 p.m. Thursday at Unity Hospital in Fridley.
According to both the state's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and the federal Drug Enforcement Administration, the drug 2C-E is within the definition of a Schedule I Control Substance, which means it's illegal, the document said.
Police said they believe Lamere purchased the drug via the Internet, where it is widely available.
Robinson's death has caught the attention of local and national politicians. Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., is working on a bill to ban 2C-E, like synthetic marijuana, to ensure it stays off the market.
David Chanen • 612-673-4465