

Sunday's paper
The Gang Strike Force racked up many victories; then stardom turned to ashes. Updated Mar. 23, 2011
In 2009, the Metro Gang Strike Force was shut down amid state and federal investigations. It was Minnesota's worst law enforcement meltdown in decades. The Star Tribune broke the first stories about the unit's troubles and the newspaper's dogged reporting ultimately showed what led to its demise.
Bob Fletcher says he changed his mind after cash and vehicles could not be found.
The new strike force leader called the tab "ridiculous," but his predecessor labeled critics "nitwits."
Board members e-mailed each other to get agreement on a statement to preempt an editorial on Hawaii trip.
Dagoberto Rodriguez Cardona and his family
A young Honduran says Gang Strike Force officers took $4,500 from him last year at an impound lot with no explanation or receipt. Now he has filed a lawsuit against them.
Actions by some officers in the Metro Gang Strike Force prompted shutdown.
The integrity of the team of 34 officers and supervisors from 13 local law enforcement agencies, who focus on gang- and drug-related crime, now is so damaged by the unauthorized destruction that it may never restart operations.
Houa Vang
The state's Legislative Auditor raised new questions about how the Metro Gang Strike Force disposed of vehicles that it seized during its investigations - and recommended further "evaluation."
Chris Omodt
Minneapolis police said tbe decision is financial, but it is more bad news for the anti-gang unit.
Michael Campion, John Egelhof, Andy Luger
Report details breadth of misconduct, saying officers took home property that had no proven connection to crime.
The Star Tribune has learned the identities of 16 officers reportedly under investigation.
Strike Force search
The Gang Strike Force racked up many victories; then stardom turned to ashes.
Wilbur Haisley
Wilbur Haisley had $3,319 - until a Metro Gang Strike Force officer took it.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT