The forward had been charged with felony domestic assault.
Charges against former Timberwolves player Dante Cunningham stemming from an April 4 domestic incident were dropped Monday in Hennepin County District Court.
Cunningham was charged in April with felony domestic assault after an incident with a woman sharing his Medina home. Two days later Cunningham was arrested on suspicion of making terroristic threats for allegedly violating a court order that barred him from contacting the woman. Charges were never filed against Cunningham after the arrest on the terroristic threat charges.
On Monday, the court dropped the felony domestic assault charge.
“Based on further investigation, there is not proof beyond a reasonable doubt for the charged offense,’’ Hennepin County Attorney Michael Freeman wrote in dismissing the incident.
Cunningham’s attorney, Emanuel Serstock, said he spoke with the former Wolves forward Monday afternoon and he “was extremely pleased. This was hurtful to him because he had never been accused of anything, either falsely or otherwise.’’
Cunningham was allowed to play after the domestic assault charge, but his contract with the Wolves expired after last season, and the team has indicated that it will not re-sign him. Serstock said Cunningham “apparently has teams that are interested’’ in signing the free-agent forward.
“He’s very optimistic,’’ Serstock said. “I think he feels he’s very marketable.’’