Minneapolis officer hasn’t yet talked to police about fatal crash

  • Article by: MATT MCKINNEY , Star Tribune
  • Updated: May 16, 2013 - 6:50 AM

Chief confirms SUV headed to a shooting did have a red light before a deadly collision.


Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau acknowledged Wednesday that a police vehicle went through a red light on its way to a shooting scene where a man had been killed 30 minutes earlier, colliding with a motorcyclist, killing him and injuring a passenger.

Under questioning during a tense news conference at City Hall, Harteau said the officer who was driving is traumatized and has not given a statement yet, five days after the Friday incident.

That delay seemed wrong to local criminal defense attorney Ryan Pacyga, who said his experience has been that police interview people immediately after an incident, “while the memory is fresh, while they don’t have time to change their story.”

While some of what Harteau revealed Wednesday helped shed light on Friday’s fatal chain of events, she declined to answer more questions about who shot and killed a burglary suspect, saying she’s awaiting test results and a completed investigation.

Harteau defended the speed of the department’s investigation and its release of information. “We’re moving as quickly as we can. The goal is to be right and accurate,” she said.

The handling of the high-profile case has become a significant first test for Harteau, who took office in early December. At the news conference, she was joined by two City Council members, Don Samuels and Meg Tuthill, whose ward covers the Uptown area. The events Friday afternoon unfolded after burglary suspect Terrance T. Franklin, 22, took police on a wild chase through a crowded Uptown neighborhood. He was eventually found in the basement of a house and killed at 3:30 p.m. by gunshots after a scuffle with police officers, two of whom were shot and injured. It’s not yet known who shot the officers, whether Franklin was armed or how exactly the confrontation became deadly.

Much of the information Harteau provided about the collision that killed motorcyclist Ivan Romero came from a computer on the police sport-utility vehicle. It records speed, location and a video looking through the windshield.

SUV’s speed: 16 or 17 mph

At the news conference, the chief said the SUV was going 16 to 17 mph at the time of the crash, according to the onboard computer. The accident was reported at 4:05 p.m.

Earlier, her office said it was traveling “well below the posted speed limit,” but didn’t include the specific speed or whether it went through a red light. Harteau said on Wednesday that she received the data Tuesday.

Two witnesses, one of whom said she had spoken to the police, told the Star Tribune that the SUV appeared to be traveling between 40 and 50 mph before the collision. Those witnesses, plus a third, said it went through a red light.

Police said the motorcycle struck the rear passenger side of the SUV. Romero’s passenger and girlfriend, Joselin Torrejon-Villamil, was injured.

Asked why the SUV was traveling with its lights and siren on 30 minutes after Franklin had been shot, Harteau said that the shooting scene remained “fluid” and that the police vehicle was responding to a supervisor’s request for more assistance.

It’s unclear when the investigation will end: Harteau said some of the officers involved haven’t been interviewed yet, including the driver of the SUV involved in the fatal collision.

Asked whether such a delay would be taking place if it was a civilian driver and not a police officer, Harteau said the department sometimes waits to interview civilians, too. Asked whether the department was concerned that the officer’s memory of the incident might change, Harteau said memories are sometimes freshest immediately after an incident and sometimes people remember more as time goes by.

Asked to comment, Pacyga expressed sympathy for the police officer, saying that he could understand the desire to hold off on the interview while the officer grieves the loss of an innocent life but that he saw the delay as something out of line with normal practices.

“They’re going to break their own rules when it becomes an investigation of one of their own,” he said.

  • related content

  • Friends of motorcyclist killed in crash seek answers

    Wednesday May 15, 2013

    Those close to Ivan Romero Olivares have questions after he died in a crash with a police SUV.

  • Video: State Patrol to take over collision investigation

    Wednesday May 15, 2013

    The police SUV that collided with a motorcycle killing the driver was traveling at 16 mph with sirens according...

  • Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau showed an example of the data available from onboard computers, including speed and video.

  • Friends and relatives of 24-year-old Ivan Romero, the motorcyclist killed in the collision, left flowers and lit candles over the weekend at the crash scene, 26th Street and Blaisdell Avenue S. in Minneapolis.

  • Backed by Council Members Don Samuels and Meg Tuthill, Harteau defended the police investigation and how quickly information has been released. “The goal is to be right and accurate,” she said.


    • Was burglary suspect Terrence T. Franklin armed?

    • Who fired the shots that killed Franklin and injured officers Michael Meath and Ricardo Muro?

    • How many times was Franklin shot and where?

    • Who was driving the police vehicle involved in the fatal collision?

    • How fast was the motorcyclist traveling before the collision?

    • Will the officer driving be charged or face discipline?

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions


Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters