The search for a suspect blocked freeway ramps and led to snarled traffic throughout the area.
One man was wounded Sunday afternoon in a drive-by shooting on Interstate 35W in Minneapolis that resulted in a 2 1/2-hour shutdown of two northbound lanes and a miles-long traffic backup.
Shortly after 3 p.m., a vehicle with several people inside pulled alongside a second vehicle near the Lake Street exit and someone in it fired several shots, striking the driver of the second vehicle, said Lt. Mark Peterson of the Minnesota State Patrol.
The injured driver, who had three passengers, pulled over to the right side of the freeway while several 911 calls were made. He was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he was treated for injuries that police said were not life-threatening.
Peterson would not release further details. State troopers and Minneapolis police officers combed the right-hand lanes of the freeway for 2 1/2 hours, blocking entrance and exit ramps, which led to traffic snarls throughout the area.
Police would not release a description of the suspect vehicle. Nor would Peterson say how many shots were fired or how many times the driver was struck.
Witnesses living near the freeway reported hearing at least four very loud shots.
"It was pop-pop-pop-pop, like that," said John Myers, 46, who lives in an apartment complex east of I-35W.
"I was watching TV and it was bang-bang-bang-bang, and at first I thought my neighbor was hanging pictures," he said.
The lanes reopened at 5:30 p.m. As of Sunday evening, no one had been arrested.
Though Peterson would not discuss a motive or whether the victim was specifically targeted, he said the incident poses no threat to other drivers on the freeway.
"It's an isolated incident," he said. "This happens very, very seldom."
Abby Simons • 612-673-4921